Hong Kong – Xiamen by Train
As of July of 2023, there are 4 daily direct trains running between Hong Kong West Kowloon Station and Xiamen. 3 trains are using Xiamen Railway Station and only one is using Xiamen North Railway Station (XiamenBei). Journey time is 4 hours. But if you travel via Shenzhen (HK West Kowloon – Shenzhen North – Xiamen), you will find a lot of trains, and you can travel more flexibly.
- Route 1: Hong Kong – Xiamen by direct train, 4 daily
- Route 2: Hong Kong – Shenzhen North – Xiamen, more trains (recommended)
As of July of 2023, there are 4 daily high speed trains running between Hong Kong & Xiamen, taking around 4 hours & the ticket price starts from CNY 305.
Hong Kong West Kowloon – Xiamen High Speed Trains
|From HK to Xiamen|
|Train||From – To||Dept||Arri||Freq||Duration||Fares|
|G3006||HK West Kowloon to Xiamen||8:52||12:47||4 daily||3h55||2nd Cls||CN￥305||HK$|
|G3002||HK West Kowloon to Xiamen North||14:26||18:05||3h39||CN￥303||HK$|
|G3004||HK West Kowloon to Xiamen||15:14||19:35||4h21||1st Cls||CN￥305||HK$|
|G3008||HK West Kowloon to Xiamen||19:43||23:38||3h55||CN￥303||HK$|
|From Xiamen to HK|
|Train||From – To||Dept||Arri||Freq||Duration||Fares|
|G3003||Xiamen North to HK West Kowloon||10:17||14:32||4 daily||4h15||2nd Cls||CN￥305||HK$|
|G3001||Xiamen to HK West Kowloon||10:25||14:01||3h36||CN￥303||HK$474|
|G3007||Xiamen to HK West Kowloon||14:09||18:22||4h13||1st Cls||CN￥303||HK$474|
|G3005||Xiamen to HK West Kowloon||17:10||21:28||4h18||CN￥305||HK$474|
For a live schedule & buy tickets, refer to www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/
- Shenzhen metro planner (official Shenzhen metro site)
- Hong Kong MTR planner (official site)
- China train ticket booking service
The best route to travel by train between Hong Kong and Xiamen is going via Shenzhen North (HK West Kowloon – Shenzhen North – Xiamen), as Shenzhen North has more trains to or from Hong Kong and Xiamen.
From Hong Kong to Xiamen via Shenzhen: Take one of the frequent bullet trains from Hong Kong West Kowloon Station (HKWestKowloon) to Shenzhen North Station (Shenzhenbei) first, then connect to a train to Xiamen Railway Station (Xiamenbei) or Xiamen Railway Station. Remember to allow at least 35 minutes for changing the train.
From Xiamen to Hong Kong via Shenzhen: Take one of the trains from Xiamen Railway Station (18 daily) or Xiamen North Railway Station (Xiamenbei 42 daily) to Shenzhen North first, from which you change to a connecting train fHong Kong West Kowloon.
Shenzhen – Xiamen train schedule, fares & duration
|Shenzhen – Xiamen by high speed train|
|Train Type||From – To||Frequency||1st-Last||Duration||Ticket Fares (CNY)|
|1st Cls||2nd Cls||Biz Cls|
|D & G train||Shenzhen North to Xiamen North||42||–||3-3.5 hrs||365||228|
|D & G train||Shenzhen North to Xiamen Station||18||–||3.5 hrs||369||230|
|D & G train||Xiamen Station to Shenzhen North||18||–||3.5 hrs||369||230|
|D & G train||Xiamen North – Shenzhen North||41||–||3-3.5 hrs||365||228|
For a live schedule & ticket availability at www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/
How to Take a Train from HK West Kowloon
Photos courtesy of Keith Wong, a Singaporean working in HK & ChinaTrain12306 visitor.
In Xiamen: The high speed trains to or from Hong Kong are using Xiamen Railway Station or Xiamen North Railway Station. 3 out of 4 are from Xiamen Railway Station and only 1 from Xiamen North.
Xiamen Railway Station is centrally-located on Xiamen Island, the downtown of Xiamen City, while Xiamen North has more trains to or from Hong Kong and Shenzhen.
In Hong Kong: The trains are using Hong Kong West Kowloon. The West Kowloon Station is near the Kowloon Stop or Austin Stop on Hong Kong’s MTR network. You can use this journey planner to plan your route to Hong Kong West Kowloon Station.
Which Station in Xiamen: Xiamen North vs Xiamen Station
|Aspect||Xiamen Railway Station (厦门站)||Xiamen North Railway Station (厦门北站)|
|Location||Downtown area, close to city center and tourist attractions||North of the city, in Jimei District, farther from city center|
|Connectivity||Well-connected to local transportation (buses, taxis)||Good transportation connections, but may require longer travel times|
|Accessibility to Attractions||Closer to popular tourist attractions||May require longer travel times to reach attractions, suitable for northern destinations|
|Metro Line||Metro Line 1||Metro Line 1|
- Xiamen Railway Station (厦门站): It is located in the Siming District downtown area of Xiamen. within the island, closer to the city center and many tourist attractions.
- Xiamen North Railway Station (厦门北站): This station is situated to the north of the city, in the Jimei District, which is further away from the city center.
- Metro lines:
- Xiamen Railway Station is well-connected to various forms of local transportation, including buses and taxis. It is more convenient for travelers staying in the central part of the city.
- Xiamen North Railway Station also has good transportation connections but may require longer travel times to reach certain parts of the city.
- Accessibility to Attractions:
- Xiamen Railway Station is closer to popular tourist attractions such as Gulangyu Island, Zhongshan Road, and Nanputuo Temple.
- Xiamen North Railway Station may require longer travel times to reach these attractions, but it’s more convenient for destinations in the northern part of Xiamen or neighboring cities.
From Xiamen to Hong Kong Airport, you can get from Xiamen to Hong Kong West Kowloon Station by direct train or via Shenzhen first. Then you can walk from West Kowloon Station to Kowloon MTR stop, from where you can take the airport express to Hong Kong Airport.
Trusted Online Ticket Agents:
Option 1: China Highlights is a reliable online agency for China train ticketing. They get positive reviews on TripAdvisor & Trustpilot. Sharon and her team help you buy tickets & plan rail routes even deliver tickets to your hotels with a service fee.
Option 2: Trip.com is an internatioal brand owned by Ctrip Group, China's largest online travel booking platform. Trip.com offers booking service for flight, train, hotel, activities, etc