Hong Kong – Guilin by Train
How to Travel between Hong Kong – Guilin by High Speed Train
It has become possible to travel between Hong Kong and Guilin by direct high speed train since the opening of West Kowloon Station HK on September 23, 2018. In this page, you will learn how to travel from Hong Kong West Kowloon to Guilin (including Yangshuo) by direct high speed trains or vice verse, how to make a transfer (connection) at Shenzhen or Guangzhou if the HK-GL direct bullet trains sell out or the timing is not convenient to you, and how to buy train tickets.
How far is Hong Kong from Guilin: the distance is about 660 kilometers.
If you have any questions about your Hong Kong – Yangshuo – Guilin travel, you can turn to ask Jack. I’d love to offer help.
How to Take a Train from HK West Kowloon
Photos courtesy of Keith Wong, a Singaporean working in HK & ChinaTrain12306 visitor.
There are now two daiy high speed trains linking Hong Kong and Guilin. The bullet trains depart from or arrive at West Kowloon Station in Hong Kong and Guilin West Train Station (Guilinxi Station). The ticket price is from HK$ 436 (RMB379) for a second class seat and the travel time is around 3h14.
Schedule, Ticket Price & Duration
|Hong Kong West Kowloon – Guilin by Bullet Train (2 pairs daily)|
|Trains||From – To||Dept – Arri||Duration||Ticket Fares (CNY/HK$)|
|1st Cls||2nd Cls||Biz Cls|
|G312||HK West Kowloon to Guilin West||12:05 – 15:25||3h20||￥1138||￥379||￥607|
|G320||HK West Kowloon to Guilin West||14:53 – 18:07||3h14||￥1138||￥379||￥607|
|G319||Guilin West to HK West Kowloon||12:38 – 15:57||3h19||￥1138||￥379||￥607|
|G311||Guilin West to HK West Kowloon||13:36 – 16:57||3h16||￥1138||￥379||￥607|
For a live schedule & ticket availability & more trains, please refer to http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/
Where to Buy Tickets
At station: You can buy tickets at Hong Kong West Kowloon Station or any train stations (Guilin Station, Guilin North or Guilin West) in Guilin.
At HK West Kowloon Station, there are 23 ticket windows and 39 self-service ticket machines for passengers buying tickets. If buying at tickets window, it accepts payments of Hong Kong dollars, China RMB, Octopus cards and credit cards. If buying at self-service machines (Not accept foreigner’s passport), it accepts WeChat Pay, Alipay, ApplePay, Samsung Pay, etc. Buy you can only buy no more than 10 tickets at the machines.
Book online: It is not possible to use China’s official rail booking site www.12306.cn as it is in Chinese and only accepts China banks card. Thus, you can turn to use a trusted online ticket agent China Highlights http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/, who has English version train schedule and will buy tickets for you once tickets are released online. The agent can help you select a window seat or aisle seat and even deliver tickets to your hotel. They will charge you service fee or delivery fee. You can place your order any time with them.
When to Book Tickets
Do I need to book tickets in advance?
Yes. As both Guilin and Hong Kong are popular tourism cities, train tickets on this route will be in great demand. It tends to sell out quickly (If tickets sell out, you can consider making at transfer at Guangzhou). So, it will be advised to use a ticket agent http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/, who will buy tickets for you once tickets are released.
If you are outside China, and want to buy tickets in advance online, you can turn to use an online ticke agent. Below are two trusted ticket agents who get positive reviews and recommended often on Trip Advisor:
- Buy at www.chinahiglights.com/china-trains/ (Sharon offers help)
- Buy at http://www.china-diy-travel.com/en/ (Promo code: ct123. Helen offers help)
- Service time: 24/7 hours Payments: Paypayl, Visa, MasterCard, Alipay, etc
Or you can also use Hong Kong MTR offical site to buy tickets:
- Buy ticket at Hong Kong MTR site (both in Chinese and English)
- Check train timetable
- Check train fare
Website: www.china-diy-travel.com ( Promo code: ct123 )
Customer reviews: Tripadvisor
Team members: Lisa, Danny, Helen, Lynn, Jeremy
- ChinaTrain12306 users can use promo code ct123 to reduce service fee.
- Helen (Chinese-born Australian) & her Aussie husband are expat living in China, also seasoned world travelers.
- They gets recommended on Trip Advisor forum & positive reviews from customers.
- They provided very detailed & easy-to-follow instructions on how to pick up tickets, how to read the ticket, how to get to the train station along with photos, how to naviate the large stations.
- They offer printed sheet in Chinese to show to people (taxi drivers or ticket issuers) in case you needed help while there.
- They made youtube videos for customers about collecting tickets, boarding trains, making transfers, directions at specific stations.
- They even gave you Chinese translations to use at bus stops for buying bus tickets when trains were not awailable.
Team members: Ethel Fang, Sharon Huang, Iris Wang, Jason Li, Apple Zeng, Phoebe Ran.
- They offer ticket delivery service , and can deliver to your hotel.
- CHT gets positive customer reviews on Trip Advisor & Trust Pilot.
- CHT provides online seat selection functions to secure your preferable seats for free.
- You will received a helpful email detailing how to navigate rail stations, how to pick up tickets, how to board trains & some translated phrases if you needed help.
- They will email you alternatives to choose from if the class or train you want isn’t available.
- Jack used to work with the CHT train team, and known how they worked.
- CHT accepts various payments of credit card, Paypal, iPayLinks, Alipay, WeChat Pay, etc.
How long in advance should I book the tickets?
Tickets go on sale online 30 days in advance, so you can buy tickets 30 days ahead of departure. But you can place order more than 30 days in advance if using a ticket agent.
How to check live train schedule & ticket availability?
Since the direct high speed trains between Hong Kong West Kowloon and Guilin are limited, they tend to sell out quickly. Then, you can consider split your rail journey by making a transfer at Guangzhou or Shenzhen (Guangzhou is better than Shenzhen), as Guangzhou and Shenzhen have more bullet trains to or from Guilin.
- Hong Kong – Guangzhou – Guilin
- Hong Kong – Shenzhen – Guilin
Hong Kong – Yangshuo – Guangzhou Rail Route Planning
There is only one daily high speed trains linking Hong Kong with Guilin, but no direct trains linking Hong Kong and Yangshuo. So if you want to design your travel to cover Hong Kong, Guilin and Yangshuo, you will have to make a transfer at Guangzhou or Shenzhen. Here are the best rail route planning:
From Hong Kong to Yangshuo to Guilin: Take a high speed train from HK West Kowloon Station to Shenzhen North (HK – Shenzhen North – Yangshuo) or Guangzhou South (HK – Guangzhou South – Yangshuo) first, then connecte to a high speed train to Yangshuo Railway Station. From Yangshuo Train Station, you need to take a bus to Yangshuo Town.
- HK to Guangzhou by train & Guangzhou to Yangshuo by train (14 daily, 2h25) – recommended
- HK to Shenzhen by train & Shenzhen to Yangshuo by train (1 daily, 2h42)
After exploring Yangshuo, you can take a bus from Yangshuo to Guilin. When returning, you can take the high speed train from Guilin West Station to HK West Kowloon Station.
Hong Kong – Guilin: Train VS Flight
You can also fly between Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) and Guilin Lijiang International Airport (KWL). There are about 2 direct flights (carrier: Cathay Dragon and Cathay Pacific) from HK to GL daily and the duration is about 1.5 hours.
|HK – GL||Frequency||Duration||Price||Note|
|By direct train||3h19||HK$436 (RMB379)||Book|
If you want to travel from Hong Kong Airport (HKG) to Guilin by trains, you can take Hong Kong MTR Airport Express Line from Airport Station to Kowloon Station, taking 25 minutes. From Kowloon Station, you can walk to West Kowloon Train Station to catch your high speed trains to Guilin. West Kowloon Train Station is near Kowloon Station on Airport Express Line and Austin Station on West Rail Line.
As seen from Hong Kong Airport to West Kowloon. You can use this rail journey planner: http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/jp/index.php
Trusted Online Ticket Agents:
Option 1: China Highlights is a reliable online agency for China train ticketing. They get positive reviews on TripAdvisor & Trustpilot. Sharon and her team help you buy tickets & plan rail routes even deliver tickets to your hotels with a service fee from $6.
Option 2: China DIY Travel is also a trusted online ticketing agent & get recommended for their excellent service on TripAdvisor. Helen & her Australian husband, team are always helpful buying tickets for foreigners. ChinaTrain12306 users can use PROMO CODE “ct123” to reduce booking fees.